Monday, July 30, 2012

Writing Inspiration- Sandra Byrd Interview

Hello everyone! Hope you are having a great day. This week for my writing inspiration, I interviewed one of my favorite authors, Sandra Byrd. She is a fantastic writer with lots of advice for young authors. Be sure to visit her website and read her books. Enjoy!


1. Where do you get your ideas from?
A lot of my ideas come from my own interests (which is why I am writing about London right now!) or troubles that God has brought me through in my life.  Sometimes I will read about something that sparks an idea, or I'll have a conversation with a friend that turns exciting ... and it grows from there!
2. How long does it usually take to write a book?
Somewhere between six months (for a YA or tween book) to a year (for an adult historical novel).  But usually I've been researching or living bits and pieces of it for longer than that.
3. How do you as an author overcome writer's block?
Writer's block is usually anxiety or fear.   So I remind myself that I can always edit, and that no one has to see this draft, and that  more people will like the book than not.  I also use something that a friend Jame Scott Bell, calls the "nifty 350." Basically, you make yourself sit down till you've written 350 words.  By the time you reach that goal, the pump is primed, as it were, and you want to keep writing.
It helps to write about things you really love, too, because then you won't lose interest.
4. What inspires you to write?
I always wanted to be a writer to "pay back" in some way the many authors who have provided hours and hours of reading pleasure for me.  So I write for readers  - and because I believe that it is my calling.
5. What is your personal favorite book?
Oh, I don't have a personal favorite, that would be like choosing a favorite child.  My favorite fiction genre to read is historical or historical romance. I also love to read devotionals and biographies and self-help books.
6. What advice would you give young authors who want to be published?
Read, write, be edited, repeat.  Read, write, be edited, repeat!  And don't give up.  Perseverance is 50% of the writing game!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Madison, this is so cool! I love Sandra Byrd, her books are so great. Love this interview! SOO great!
    xoxo
    CoverGirl + Converse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is great, Madison! I love Mrs. Byrd's books.

    ReplyDelete

Don't hesitate to leave a comment! I love hearing from you all. Thanks for stopping by my little blog!