Thursday, May 19, 2016

The Thing You Can't Forget


I forget so much. It's human nature I guess. I forget to do my laundry before work. I forget to send in forms. I forget to text people back (a LOT). I even forget where I am going sometimes when I'm driving. Why do we forget? We get distracted. We get so busy. This year has been crazy busy. If there is one thing college taught me, it's how busy life can seriously get. In the midst of the craziness I forgot a lot of things. A few deadlines for quizzes, assignments, and tuition bills. There is one thing that I forgot this year that is far more important than any of these minor day-to-day hassles. I guess I didn't really forget it, because it's not something you can entirely forget. Rather, I de-prioritized it, and it hit me hard. Forgetting this brought a lot of harm to my life that I didn't even notice. What is this, you may ask? I suppose you could say I forgot my faith. Now don't go freaking out that I chose a different religion or something. Because this was far worse. It started with forgetting to pray. Then forgetting to read the word. Then changing the radio station. Then saying different words. Then letting my thoughts stray. The perfect way to fall into Satan's grasp if you want to fool others and yourself. The life of a busy college student consumed my thoughts and God was pushed aside. Sin slowly seeped in. An after-thought. I went to Him before exams and when I was hitting a writer's block for a paper and left after it was over. It wasn't until I hated what I was saying and doing...the way I treated my family and friends until I realized something was not right. And I'd love to tell you that the semester ended with me being the dedicated, holy Christian I should be. This has been a struggle for me that I want to face. 

Tonight I questioned myself, "How could I be so selfish and so ignorant as to ignore the Master of all Heaven and Earth?" And I can hear the Lord calling out to me, pleading for me not to chose sin but to choose LIFE in abundance with Him. 

So to myself and to all believers struggling with the same thing, I say HUMBLE YOURSELF. Do you not remember the God you serve? 


And they were calling to one another: “Holyholyholy is the Lord Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory."

Isaiah 6:3 

Bow before Him. Surrender. This is not your life, do not be so selfish to think it is in any way belonging to you. Choose the sweeter, but so much more challenging life with Christ. Obey what He has commanded. Love Him with all you are. Becuase He gave you life through His death on the cross. 

I want to finish this post with two things. 

1) I choose life. A life with Christ. A life lived for His glory. Choosing this life over what the world has to offer. 

2) Colossians 3:1-14

"Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God.  When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.
 Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. Because of these, the wrath of God is coming. You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips. Do not lie to each other, since you have taken off your old self with its practices and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator. Here there is no Gentile or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all.
Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't hesitate to leave a comment! I love hearing from you all. Thanks for stopping by my little blog!